|NOTICE TO NAVIGATION INTERESTS|
|ALASKA DISTRICT||DATE:||09/05/2017||NOTICE NUMBER: 4679-3|
2204 3RD STREET
JBER AK 99506-1518
Operations Project Manager
|LOCAL NUMBER: POA 17-04
WATERWAY: NORTON SOUND
EFFECTIVE: IMMEDIATELY thru UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
|AMENDMENT - OBSTRUCTION SURVEY UPDATE
Navigation Notice 4679, POA 17-04
1. All navigation interests are advised of an obstruction in the outer entrance channel to Nome Harbor. The obstruction was identified during the 2015 maintenance dredging operations and confirmed by multi-beam sonar equipment during a 2017 dredge survey. The approximate center location of the obstruction is N64° 29' 41.378", W165° 26' 11.939" as referenced in the attached PDF drawing.
2. The shoalest depth in the vicinity of the obstruction is -21.9 feet mean lower low water. Mariners should exercise caution while navigating this area and report any strikes to Lucas Stotts, Harbormaster (907-304-1906).
3. The approximate obstruction location is based on final survey data submitted by Hughes & Associates to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District. The approximate dimensions of the obstruction are 4.25 feet long by 3 feet wide by 1 feet tall.
4. The obstruction was identified as a rock using an underwater camera. Reference the attached PDF drawing.
5. The Alaska District will update this notice as soon as additional information becomes available.
Questions regarding this notice may be directed to Michael Tencza, Operations Project Manager (907-753-2648) or Tom Sloan, Chief Geomatics Section (907-753-2658).
Julie Anderson, P.E.
Chief, Operations Branch
Engineering and Construction-Operations Division